View of The Stores taken from Ashmount Farm (now the Greave Dunning pub).
The shop was owned by Mr E. R. Jones from 1913 to 1931.
He and his family lived in the house attached to the right of the shop.
At the far left of the photo is Cross Gardens, far right is the Saddler and Cobbler Shop.
The Stores building is now an estate agency.
The attached house has been demolished but has left a mark.
The unusual corner pier (seen on the right of the agency building in the photo)
results from the keystones which joined the two structures.
Removal of these supports during the demolition of the house would have
jeopardised the stability of the remaining building.
They were left in place and given a mortar render.
This photo, taken in the late 1950s or early 1960s has been kindly provided by Bill Drake.
It shows (from left) his parents, Gwladys and Maurice Drake and Nan Jones