Pubs in Greasby



Greave Dunning

The building was an 18th century farmhouse.  It was opened as a pub in 1981.  Most recent redocorations were in October 2006. 

Particularly suitable for ladies - carpets, vases, paintings, soft lighting and other sophistications. 

Good range of beers, reasonably priced.  Food - served throughout the day.

There are no facilities for children and they are only admitted if over 14 and eating a meal.


Coach & Horses

The Coach is a very old pub, definitely in business in 1832 (named on the Bryant map of that year)  possibly dating as far back as 1725.

A "proper" drinker's pub which has retained a traditional atmosphere and avoided the temptation to attract the "white wine and soda" place-fillers.

Food - bar snacks.

Admission of children - (information to follow)



Irby Mill

Opened as a pub in 1981.

Food - meals (recent changes - information to follow)

Admission of children - (recent changes - information to follow)

Built as a millkeeper's cottage

 

 






Twelfth Man

Opened around 1960.  Renovated around 2001.

Named as a result of its proximity to Upton cricket club.

Bar, restaurant and accommodation.

Children welcomed.

 



 

Red Cat    (called the Red Cat when it opened, changed to the Cat c1998, then became Red Cat again in March 2006)

Built in 1964 to replace the "New Inn" which had stood a few metres from the site of the present building for over a hundred years.

Food - served throughout the day.

 Admission of children - (recent changes - information to follow)

  

History of the name -

The original inn of that name [Red Cat] stood in the village of Brimstage until it was demolished to make room for the village hall erected in 1932 by Lord Leverhulme.  The village is overlooked by Brimstage Hall and its chantry chapel.  One of the corbels of the chapel shows a "cat" carved in the red sandstone.  The family of Lady Margery de Hulse, who built the chapel in the 14th century, was a branch of the Barons of Montalt, whose coat of arms was a red lion rampant.  It is thought that the mason who worked on the chapel had never seen a lion, and, on being informed that it was a member of the cat family, he carved a cat's head with a snarl, or, as it appears, a "grinning Cheshire cat!"

Extract from "The Story of Greasby" by John Williams, 1978

   
   




Community Web Kit provided free by BT