Frankby Parish School
Frankby Parish School was built in 1866 on land donated by Mr J. R. Shaw of Arrowe Hall. This school building took over from the original school which was located in a barn in Frankby (see footnote 1). It was the parish school of St. John the Divine, Frankby.
Photo kindly provided by Dennis Alcock
The school building was enlarged in 1873 (see footnote 2).
The photo shown above is believed to have been taken during the 1930s.
Frankby Parish School junior group in 1950 at Royden Hall - photo kindly provided by Bill Drake
Frankby Parish School senior group in 1950/51 at Royden Hall - photo kindly provided by Alex Audley
Photo of a group of men in front of Frankby Parish School, date unknown
The school closed in 1952, when the new Mill Lane Junior School opened.
The head of Frankby Parish School, Mrs E. Booth, moved to the new school.
Frankby Parish School buildings circa 1970s.
Photos kindly provided by Mrs Birch
Frankby Parish School buildings (above) deteriorated due to dry rot and the lack of a damp proof course. They were demolished in 1977. Great care was taken to protect the inscribed school stone, which was relocated to the churchyard at St John the Divine in Frankby.
The site of the school is now occupied by four houses; numbers 21, 21A, 23, 25 Greasby Road (see below)
1. A. P. Nute, St John the Divine, a Short History and Guide - " Once [Frankby] parish had been created, a licence, dated 12th July 1861, was issued by the Bishop for the performance of divine service in 'a certain room or building, recently appropriated to the use of a school in the village of Frankby.' . . . After [St John the Divine] church was consecrated [May 1862] it continued as a school until a building was erected in Greasby in 1866. Later converted into a cottage it survives as 5 The Nook, Frankby Green, although considerably extended in recent years."
2. John Williams, The Story of Greasby - " Greasby's first school was built by subscription in 1866 and enlarged in 1873 by Mr. Ledward. In 1889 the average attendance was 112 but by 1902 this had dropped to 62. Because of the serious shortage of qualified teachers a system was introduced by which boys and girls of about fifteen years of age were "apprenticed" to teaching. They taught in school alongside the qualified teacher and received during the day some tuition themselves. Eventually provision was made for such young people to attend Normal School (College) in their final year. The school basically consisted of a large school room with a room for the infants. This was not due to any lack of appreciation on the part of the authorities of the desirability for separate classrooms, but was necessitated by the lack of experienced teachers. The classes were separated by curtains which, when fully drawn, projected about four inches beyond the front desks and allowed the headmaster to keep a fatherly eye on the young teachers without being seen to do so by the children. The principal sources of finance were the government grant, public subscription and scholars' fees, which ranged from twopence a week for the infants to fivepence a week for older children. Fivepence was not a trivial sum for a farm labourer whose weekly wage was twelve shillings, but for this his older children could learn something of literature and grammar in addition to the three R's. Most of the scholars left school before their fourteenth birthday, but a few of the sons of well-to-do farmers were able to continue their education - but only a few."