Brick & Tile Works
Map dated 1882.
The boundaries detailed in the article are shown, edged with brown marker.
Labels shown in red show today's features for a perspective view.
The information on this page is extracted from "The Greasby Brickworks" which was written by Jim O'Neil and Jeff Rickards. The original article was published in the Wirral Journal, volume 1, number 6.
'The Greasby Brick and Tile Works' was one of about thirty brickfields on the Wirral.
Details of the boundaries of the Greasby Works: - The path running from Greasby Road to Norwood Court is the western boundary and the eastern side is marked by the path from Greasby Road into Coronation Park. Greasby Road is the northern boundary and the south side is indicated by the path between Norwood Road and Coronation Park (alongside the playing fields of Brookdale Primary School).
The site occupied land slightly over four and a half acres.
Prior to its use as a Brickworks, the land was owned by John Ralph Shaw and was part of the Manor Farm lands.
The date of the opening of the Works is not known, but is likely to have been in the mid 1850s.
It is believed that the earliest proprietor was George Mason.
Much of the stone for the road from Frankby to Upton was supplied from the Greasby Brickworks.
Alfred Harris (brother of Nurse Mary Harris) became the proprietor around 1900, at which time some six or seven men worked there.
The Works closed around 1905.
The claypit was eventually filled with spoil from the first Mersey Tunnel (built between 1925 and 1934).
The only remaining item from the Brickworks is the grinding stone which was set into a concrete mound as a visual feature outside Norwood Court in October 1977.
It is 48 inches (122cm) in diameter, four inches (10cm) thick, with a central hole three inches (7.6cm) square.