||The Greave Dunning was opened as a public house on 14th December 1981. A very large amount of work had been necessary to convert the three old buildings into a pub. The conversion was undertaken by the new owners, Don & Doug Staniford. Around 2001 the pub was extensively renovated.
There is evidence that some or all of the buildings were built before 1784.
The 1849 Tithe map (image 1) shows Ashmount Farm as item
24 and the accompanying documents state that the owner and occupier was Edward Bythell.
At the right-hand end of the row there is a yard and today there is a building which has a board reading "The Old Dairy". This building does not appear on the Tithe map and is therefore of a later date.
The RH half of a painting dated 1878 (image 2) shows two of the buildings and
it appears that the one with the visible windows had a thatched roof. This was the brick-built house of Ashmount Farm. In the centre of the row (RH end of the painting) was a barn, again having brick walls but with a slate roof. The barn walls have typical diamond shaped ventilation holes in the brickwork. The painting does not show the right-hand end (the east end) of the row which was a building with sandstone walls and a slate roof. This was another of the farm outbuildings. It is not known which was of earlier construction - the sandstone or the brick buildings.
Image 3 shows Ashmount Farm house and outbuildings c1910.
One unusual feature of the farmhouse is that parts of the walls are built directly on sandstone outcrops (image 4).
The land and buildings were later owned by the Royden
family who lived at Frankby Hall. When their estate was offered for sale by auction on 10th August 1932 these buildings were described as shown in image 5. The tenant is shown as W.R. Griffith (known as "Billy"). His mother, Mrs Hilda Griffith bought the farm. The sale was completed on 8th December 1932 at a price of £1,000.
Ashmount Farm dairy supplied milk to a large number of
Greasby houses. Milkman Stan Williams (image 6) is remembered by many residents.
A photo dated 1972 (image 7) shows the right-hand building had become a shop - W.Kennedy's chandlers and hardware merchant. Items offered for sale on the board outside the shop include "Esso Paraffin, Oil Stoves, Wallpaper, Hardboard, Garden Tools,
The centre building had had its roof timbers replaced in 1937. In 1980 they were again replaced - this time with timbers taken from the demolished church of St Barnabus in Rock Ferry.
Image 8 shows the pub in 1983.
Image 9 is dated 2004.
The one-time dairy building is shown to the right-hand side of image 10 in a 2007 photo.
The map grid reference for the Greave Dunning is SJ253872.
The strange name for the pub is taken from village history. Before 1066 the village was under the control of a man called Dunning. Some records show that he was a "Gerefa" (see footnote) or high official of the earls of Mercia who ruled the area at the time - thus Gerefa Dunning or Greave
Dunning. Dunning lost Greasby as a result of the Norman invasion - King
William (the Conquerer) gave the village (and many other parts of Cheshire) to Hugh de Avranches.
'Gerefa' was an Old English word which became 'Reeve' in Middle English. A Reeve responsible for a whole shire had the title 'Shire Reeve' which later became 'Sheriff'.