'Teapot Row' Stone Cottages

  The local name for this terrace was Teapot Row but officially it was called Stone Cottages.
In this image the grocer's shop was owned by Elizabeth Disbury
  This image gives a perspective of Teapot Row in relation to White Cottage and (far left) the Smithy.  The grocer's shop was by this time owned by William Dodd.
  The Horse Shoe beerhouse was in the centre of Teapot Row terrace.  A beerhouse did not sell 'strong' alcohol and did not require a full Public House Licence.

'X' marks the probable location of the Horse Shoe beerhouse.
  There was a tragedy in 1863 at the Horse Shoe beerhouse.
The beerhouse-keeper, 48 year old Michael McCaffrey, attempted to break up  a fight between two customers.  One struck Michael and he died of the injury.
(Liverpool Mercury 6th April 1863)
  The man was found guilty of manslaughter and given a fortnight's imprisonment.
(Liverpool Mercury 7th August 1863)
  The headstone of Michael McCaffrey stands in the graveyard of St John The Divine in Frankby.
Michael's widow Betsey took over the Horse Shoe but died a year later, aged 43.


  At the age of 21 their eldest daughter Mary took over the beerhouse, as the 1864 Morris directory shows. 
She later married David Skillen.
  David became the beerhouse-keeper and the census of 1871 shows David, Mary and Mary's siblings, Ann, 22, Elizabeth, 9, and Michael, 20, all living at the Horse Shoe.  Although the census shows the business as a 'public house' it was, in fact, a beerhouse.





Community Web Kit provided free by BT