Coach & Horses
Photo c1905. Margaret Rowe was the licencee. An enlargement of the wall panel is shown below
The painted pub sign - a horsedrawn coach in front
of a half-timbered building
A view through the ages
The Coach & Horses may date from around 1725. It is named on the Bryant map of 1832
A fight there in December 1844 was reported in the "Liverpool Courier and Commercial Advertiser" the following month.
John Williams wrote (1978) in 'The Story of Greasby'.....
"Like many inns of that time  the building was a farmhouse and the farmer brewed and sold his own ale. A few years ago the evidence of this - the stables, the shippen and the hay-loft - could clearly be seen. The inn had no beer-cellar; the barrels were stored
outside in a back-yard, the beer being drawn up by hand-pumps. In summertime the barrels were cooled with wet sacks. The interior was that of a typical Victorian inn; oak beams, a stone-flagged floor, a snug and a small corner known as the 'rat-pit'. In the evening the oil-lamps were lit and the customers were made welcome by a cheerful coal fire."
The record of licensees in not complete, the known ones are -
1844 William Wilkinson
1860 Thomas Woodfine (he moved to the New Inn by 1871)
1902 Margaret Rowe (her husband [brother?] Hugh Rowe was the owner of Rowe's General Store and the "saddler and cobbler" shop next door to the Coach & Horses)